Checkers USA Forum Index Checkers USA
International and Pool Checkers
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   You have no new messagesYou have no new messages   Log out [ charter ]Log out [ charter ] 

Challenge 5

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Checkers USA Forum Index -> Pool Checkers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
charter
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Challenge 5 Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

I am working on expanding the 2x2 Collection on the site from the current 17 to several hundreds positions.
For those who think of 2x2 as easy or un-important try to win this position:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
charter
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

This challenge went unanswered - can't believe there was no one qualified to solve the ending with only two checkers on each side - perhaps people just can't figure out what the "Post Reply" button is for, or they are not interested in challenges.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
filippov



Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

Hello my friend Mr Charter: It is not that no one is qualified to solve this problem with only two men on each side, but it is the offensive language you choose to use. We believe you are an educated and intelligent man Mr Charter, the evidence shows that. However Mr Charter your language is insulting (to treat or speak to with scorn, insolence, or great disrespect).

We, many of us are interested in the challenges and we appreciate the wonderful job you have done in the creation of this beautiful and educational site (CHECKERS USA). We commend you highly for this great work. The evidence also shows that some of us do know what the reply button is for. But sometimes when one feel offended, he/she may choose not to reply. No one is perfect and this reply is not intended to make you feel offended or painful in any way. It is just a few words to say please try to show a little more tact.

Your language sounds like that of a hurt and angry man, I hope none of us have done anything to anger or hurt you in anyway. It would be a great lost to lose such a great masterpiece as CHECKERS USA. We need your contribution. Please keep up the good work.

Black has pieces on squares 17 and 24.
White has pieces on squares 26 and 23.

Solution:

17-21 26-22
24-28 23-18
28-32 18-15
32-14 15-11 (22-18 does not change anything because of 32 back to 14 and white loises because of the jump)
14-03 22-18
21-25 18-14
03x17 11-08
17-03 08-04
25-29 XXxx

Second Solution:

17-21 23-18
24-27 18-14
27-31 26-23
31-17 14-09
17-14 09x18
21-25 18-14 (or 15 it doesn't matter)
25-30 23-18
30-25 18-15
25x11 14-10
11-02 xxxx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
charter
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Oct 2004
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

Filippov wrote:
It is not that no one is qualified to solve this problem with only two men on each side, but it is the offensive language you choose to use.
Charter wrote:
I am working on expanding the 2x2 Collection on the site from the current 17 to several hundreds positions.
For those who think of 2x2 as easy or un-important try to win this position:
How was this offensive?
Filippov wrote:
However Mr Charter your language is insulting (to treat or speak to with scorn, insolence, or great disrespect).
There seems to be a confusion of couse and effect.
Each post on the site, each lesson, each picture - the whole site - is an invitation to communicate. The communication is not happening - besides the three club members no one (with the exception of you Mr. Filippov) has EVER answer a single topic or post a new one.
For almost a year there were these un-answered attempts - after that there was some frustration expressed on my part. You turn it upside down - you claim that it was my frustration that causes a non-response, which is clearly not the case.
Filippov wrote:
Your language sounds like that of a hurt and angry man, I hope none of us have done anything to anger or hurt you in anyway.
In my book it was us who were offended over and over - by the silence. Add to it hundreds of personal emails that I sent to players - I can not say that none of them went unreplied - a few replies that I had, were of the "I will send you the full reply this evening" nature - those were even more insulting as each person made and broke his word. So if I sometimes sounded hurt and angry it was because I felt hurt. I too have feelings and those non-replies would be considered offensive in any culture. In my culture one responds with humor and a bit of sarcasm to hurt, and I am no exception.
Filippov wrote:
But sometimes when one feel offended, he/she may choose not to reply. No one is perfect and this reply is not intended to make you feel offended or painful in any way. It is just a few words to say please try to show a little more tact.
There seems to be various gradations of silence. At first players were silent because the site was new and they could not make sense of it. Then when they found some information useful they used the "stealth" technique. Now that they (hopefully) understand that one can not steal which is given openly free, they think if they reply that fellow would win - but can he succeed without their help?

Perhaps you will say "what a stupid idea!" and you might be right. But silence is such a thing one can interpret it any way he choses. I am not a master of reading silence. I prefer a few well chosen words as you did Mr. Filippov. Otherwise it is the person's imagination that adds words and motives to the not-so-golden silence.

I hear over and over that I have to understand that our players are not ready for the site, that they live in the 19th Century, etcetera, and that they instictively reject any new ideas. I am acting accordingly, keeping the site extremely simple to navigate, with detail Help on many subjects. Unfortunately, without a reaction from readers, I do not know where to procede with the site. Many of the ideas went dead without a response, such ideas as Regional Tournaments, Rules, History, etc.
Quote:
It would be a great lost to lose such a great masterpiece as CHECKERS USA.
Are you saying people will reject the site? Sounds like a threat. On the other hand I thought many times of closing down the site as it clearly does no reach its audience. But I still keep trying to reach it.
Quote:
We need your contribution.
And I need yours. The site is not a musium - it is a place of communication. The sooner the players stop being in judgment of the site and start participating the sooner the site will realise its purpose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
filippov



Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

I am Mrs.Filippov and I enjoy reading both Mr. fillippov and Mr. Charter's
statements and replys. I find each of them very interesting. I agree
with Mr. Charter insomuch as it is discouraging to publish writing and
articles, and other works, and get absolutely no reply.

I have been lacking in making replys. It is not that I dont enjoy reading
articles and publications on the site. It is just that sometimes I dont
know what to say. Mr. Filippov tells me I should make a reply, but
up until now; I did not no excatly what to say or how to say it, maybe
other people who visit your site feel the same way, or maybe we are
afraid of making a mistake of some kind.

Please keep up the good work and continue to pulish articles, checker
problems, replys, and other communications
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Checkers USA Forum Index -> Pool Checkers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Watch this topic for replies
 
Delete this topic Move this topic Lock this topic Split this topic 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum
You can moderate this forum

Go to Administration Panel


Powered by phpBB 2.0.4 2001, 2002 phpBB Group